The Sean Michael Welch Archives

October 19, 2007

Auf Wiedersehn, Herr Turner. Danke.

This morning I received an email from David Turner, my friend in Germany who has been my go to guy as far as getting my plays done in Germany. Unfortunately, this email announced David's own passing by David himself.

I admit having to read it a few times before understanding that this wasn't a joke. He must have anticipated his passing and written a farewell letter to friends.

My last actual communications with David were discussing the closing of his theatre, an unfortunate effect of the army base it was surrounded by closing down. I was sad to see it go, but was always hoping that somewhere down the road we would have the opportunity to work together again.

I was lucky enough to meet David face-to-face once in Germany during a production of "Don't Talk to the Anthropologist." I believe he had altogether done five of my pieces, and even premiered "The Straight Poop" for me. David was a very kind man, very positive, instantly likable, and I gained a great amount of respect for him in a very short time. He was always open to reading material and was excited to be able to put them on. I feel privileged that I was able to meet with him, and am saddened because we will never be able to again.

David loved theatre. There seemed to be nothing else he would rather be doing with his time. How many people are lucky enough to say that?

He made it possible for my parents to see work of mine. That was key to me. In some twist of fate, David found me while living in Germany, and it had nothing to do with my parents, living in Germany as well. My parents just got to enjoy the result.

I have much to be grateful for in having known David. I hoped he considered me a friend even with our short time in knowing each other.

Thank you, David. You will be missed.

0 Comments:


<< Home