The Sean Michael Welch Archives

July 12, 2005

The premiere of END CALIGULA will be an slightly edited version. In order to insure that we will not go over the ninety-minute time limit, I've had to shave off some stuff. And... no togas. THAT'S OKAY! NO PROBLEM! TOGAS ARE EXPENSIVE!

I've met with half the cast now, as they allowed me to be at a rehearsal. The two leads are phenoms. Just perfect for the kind of stuff I do. And Claudius actually bears resemblence to the Claudius that appeared in the original, and unfinished, film version of "I, Claudius," which one can only see if you have access to the "I, Claudius" box set. The energy is good, they are having a lot of fun in rehearsals, which is all I ever ask for. If the actors are enjoying themselves, then the audience is more able to experience the joy with them. There's nothing worse than seeing a bunch of performers not having fun with something they're involved in. I mean, look at what you're doing. You're on a stage, pretending to be someone else. You're returning to the joy you felt as a child, playing the hero or the villain. You're eight years old. Even when you say the big words and discuss the big ideas, you're just a kid. Let those other people be adults. And then wag your tongues at them vigorously.

0 Comments:


<< Home